Do you have a story about civil rights in your school or community, that you would like to share?
Have you experienced or observed prejudice and discrimination? Are you or others speaking up on issues, organizing a group, or working on a civil rights project? The academy is a platform for sharing your story.
Some possible topics and actions could include:
- We surveyed student attitudes about discrimination
- Football players unfurled a banner to Stop Racism
- We protested against teachers who tells racist jokes
- Students planned a workshop to train teachers to handle sensitive issues
- The principal said no to a gay-straight alliance and students gathered signatures on a petition
- There is racial discrimination in the school and students are taught how to respond to bigotry
Some possible formats could be:
- Conduct an interview of someone who advocates for civil rights
- Organize a march and capture on video
- Perform a piece of spoken word art
- Photograph students at an anti-racist workshop
- Record students speaking at the school board
- Video yourself and/or a group of your friends